Tuesday, August 25, 2009

More-adino for Borodino

...In which our protagonist has, for once, not a lot to say.

The complete Russian 12th Line Infantry Division. The divisional artillery was (conveniently) assigned to the 2nd Army's artillery reserve for the battle.

It's come to my attention that this Borodino project is going to be quite a major undertaking. Even representing each entire regiment with a measly eighteen or twenty men, I'm still looking at... well, I haven't even tried to work it out, admittedly. Suffice to say, I should have a lot of toy soldiers by the time I'm through!

Anyways, a couple of new stands for this short update. These have actually been done for a week or so, but that dratted Real Life has kept me too busy to take pictures. I kind of feel like Napoleon himself sometimes, stumbling from one crisis to the next (and generally coming off worse for it, in the end).

First up is a Russian light infantry brigade, made up of the 6th and 41st regiments. I've seen the Russian light infantry named repeatedly in both Prussian style (Jägers) and French style (Chasseurs); I'm not expert enough to know (or care) which is correct. In any event, these guys wear the same general uniform as the line troops, but with green facings rather than red. The overall effect is pretty drab -- which is likely the point, but doesn't make them look any more interesting! At least they're quick to paint.

Russian Jägers. I managed to squeeze more skirmishers onto the base by reducing the size of the forward regiment. The "log" is an actual twig.

Next up is another historically inaccurate French brigade, this time made up of the 33e and 85e regiments of infanterie de la ligne. Again, each of these regiments would have comprised its own "brigade" at Borodino, but I've grouped them to streamline things.

French line infantry. French regiments were larger than their Russian counterparts, and so I've given them 10 soldiers per rank rather than 9. What more could you want?

This French base was the guinea pig for an effect I'd been thinking of. Paint on a flat surface with a glossy varnish gives a nice water surface effect, so I made a puddle with one of the troop formations wading through it. This worked out well enough that I'm already doing another base in the same fashion.

Rear view, showing the leading regiment straggling through the water. That's quite a deep little puddle!

Another eye-candy shot of the 12th Division to round things off.

At the moment I'm working on basing the Russian 27th division; updates when they're done and I've got time to blog.

3 comments:

  1. As usual Mike, some excellent work, I think you've bitten off a lot to chew if you're going to do a full OOB for both sides, but my, that would certainly be a sight to see, even with the 'small' regiments idea....I'd urge you to go for it, although it could take over your life!

    The pond/puddle idea is simply brilliant, those two Frenchmen wading through it look great- did you file off their bases before mounting them?

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice basing style.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HSLC 10th Class Previous Years Sample Paper.Pdf Download Manipur Board 10th Class Model Question Paper 2021 The Exam Department of the Manipur School Education Board (HSLC) has released the Xth Class Model Question Paper for the Main Exam 2021. BSEM HSLC Model Paper 2022 Download the Manipur Board 10th Class Model Question Paper for the year 2021. Download BSEM 10th Class Sample Papers for each subject (Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics, Biology).

    ReplyDelete